Terra Alta 'El Sender' by Lafou Celler is a red wine produced in the Batea area, Terra Alta, Catalonia in Spain. Blend of Grenache, Syrah and Morenillo, a typical cuvée that well represents the terroir to which it belongs. It comes from 40-year-old vineyards and the manual harvest takes place in the first half of October. After harvesting, the grapes are cooled to 5°C before being destemmed and transported to steel tanks. The maturation lasts 6 months in large French (80%) and Central European (20%) barrels. On the nose there are notes of blackberry with balsamic hints and nuances of dried flowers, while on tasting the aromas of fresh fruit, spices and liquorice stand out. The important tannin is characteristic and pleasant. To be paired with dishes based on meat, pork or mature cheeses.
- Product Category
- Red Wine
- Terra Alta DO
- Grape / Raw material
- 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 10% Morenillo
- Vintage - Cuvée
- 750 ml.
- ES - Batea - Terra Alta - Catalonia
- Alcohol Content
- 14.5% vol.
- Service Temperature
- 16° – 18° C.
- Suggested Glass
- Large calyx with a long stem
- Food Matches
- Game, Roasted Beef, Red Meat, Aged Cheese
- Contains Sulphites
Lafou Celler was founded in 2007 with the desire to produce wines that reflected the greatness of the Garnacha variety and an extraordinary wine region like Terra Alta. The name La Fou comes from "fou" meaning "narrow passage/gorge". Created following the flow of rainfall, they outline the landscape by separating the valleys. The thermal oscillation between day and night and the Garbí winds (important for mitigating summer days) and Cerç (dry wind which helps the grapes reach perfect ripeness) play a fundamental role in the growth of the vine, favoring wine production qualitatively high. The landscape, the vineyard terraces and the gorges make it an ideal place for this vine to express its true greatness. It was Ramon Roqueta Segalés – coming from a family with a long winemaking tradition dating back to the 12th century – who undertook this personal project in Lafou. While studying oenology in France, Ramon was seduced by the Garnacha variety, its expression and its elegance. It was then that he began to consider the idea of developing a project based on this variety, and began by researching the territory where this variety is best expressed.
Plaça de Catalunya, 34, 43786 Batea, Tarragona, Spain
Color: intense ruby red.
Bouquet: blackberry notes with balsamic hints and nuances of dried flowers.
Taste: fresh fruit, spices and liquorice. Important tannin.
- Silver Medal, International Wine Challenge 2014
- Silver Medal, Decanter World Wine Awards 2014
- Bronze medal, International Wine & Spirits Competition 2014
- Silver Medal, Séletions Worlds des Vins Canada 2014
- Gold Medal, China Wine & Spirits Awards 2016
- 91 Gourmet Wine Guide points
- 92 points (ABC 2019 Wine Guide)
- 90 points (Anuario de Vinos el Pais 2019)
- Inserted in the decanter magazine top 20 prestigious wines
- 93 Points ABC Wine Awards 2020